Rocky Mountain National Park is full of rich history, beautiful natural wonders, and plenty of activities for visitors to participate in. Here are some of our favorite fun facts about the nation’s tenth national park.
- Rocky Mountain National Park is a popular destination for avid hikers, with 355 miles of hiking trails within the park bounds.
- Fragile alpine tundra encompasses one-third of Rocky Mountain National Park, one of the largest examples of alpine tundra ecosystems protected in the contiguous United States.
- In 2018, the park received its highest annual visitation, with 4,590,493 recreation visitors.
- Rocky Mountain National Park spans 415.32 square miles.
- Rocky Mountain National Park is home to many different species, one of which is beats. There are an estimated 20-24 bears within the confines of the park.
- Trail Ridge Road is the highest continuous paved highway in North America, with a high point of 12,183 feet (3,713 meters).